- Title: Vatican upbeat on possibility of Pope Francis visiting Russia
- Date: 22nd August 2017
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (AUGUST 22, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTRY BUILDING RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SERGEI LAVROV, AND VATICAN SECRETARY OF STATE, CARDINAL PIETRO PAROLIN, AND DELEGATIONS MEMBERS ENTERING ROOM MEDIA TALKS IN PROGRESS, LAVROV SPEAKING PAROLIN AND MEMBERS OF VATICAN DELEGATION LAVROV ADDRESSING VATICAN DELEGATION TALKS IN PROGRESS MEDIA PAROLIN ADDRESSING RUSSIAN DELEGATION TALKS IN PROGRESS RUSSIAN AND VATICAN OFFICIALS AT NEWS CONFERENCE LAVROV AND PAROLIN (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SERGEI LAVROV, SAYING: "We have common position on the need to establish dialogue and at the same time to continue irreconcilable fight against terrorists and extremists and to secure the movement towards political settlement which would be in the interests of all main ethnic and confessional groups in one country or another." FOREIGN MINISTRY OFFICIALS (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) VATICAN SECRETARY OF STATE, CARDINAL PIETRO PAROLIN, SAYING (ACCORDING TO OFFICIAL TRANSLATION): "I think Russia can help (Venezuela) in these difficult times, because this difficult situation had been going on for a long time there and because Russia has close relations with Venezuela, I think it can assist negotiations, it is the only way which the Holy See sees to resolve the crisis in Venezuela." RUSSIAN OFFICIALS (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) VATICAN SECRETARY OF STATE, CARDINAL PIETRO PAROLIN, SAYING (ACCORDING TO OFFICIAL TRANSLATION): "As for concrete details regarding the Pope's possible visit (to Russia) and everything which is connected with it, of course these are special issues, I think we, believers, believe in God and the Holy Spirit which will guide us in this direction. In general, there is a positive momentum and it is necessary to continue it and what kind of steps we would need to take - we will see in the future." FLAGS LAVROV AND PAROLIN LEAVING
- Embargoed: 5th September 2017 13:02
- Keywords: Russia Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov Vatican Pope's visit to Russia cardinal visiting Russia Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin church relations
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016V8NADJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin said on Tuesday (August 22) that there was a "positive momentum" behind the idea of Pope Francis visiting Russia, but suggested there was more work to be done if it is to happen.
Parolin, speaking at a joint news conference in Moscow alongside Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, did not give any date for such a possible visit.
The Eastern and Western branches of Christianity split apart in 1054. The pope, leader of the world's 1.2 billion Catholics, is seeking to improve ties, and last year in Cuba held what was the first ever meeting between a Roman Catholic pope and a Russian Orthodox patriarch.
Parolin, who is due later on Tuesday to meet Patriarch Kirill, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, said he believed Russia could play an important role when it came to helping solve a crisis in Venezuela because of its close relations with Caracas.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None