- Title: China warns U.S. ahead of Taiwan defense minister's brief visit
- Date: 22nd August 2017
- Summary: TAIPEI, TAIWAN (AUGUST 22, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF TAIWAN'S DEFENCE MINISTRY VARIOUS OF TAIWAN'S NATIONAL DEFENSE VICE MINISTER PU TZE-CHUN ON STAGE FOR MILITARY DAY PROMOTIONAL EVENT TAIWAN FLAG IN GIRL'S HAND (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) TAIWAN DEFENSE MINISTRY SPOKESMAN, CHEN CHUNG-CHI, SAYING: "Everyone might be asking, will we be passing through the United States? On both the outward and return leg, we'll be passing through New York and Los Angeles. This time, the itinerary is pretty short, in the U.S. we're just stopping over briefly for a connecting flight, we haven't arranged anything else at all." BEIJING, CHINA (AUGUST 22, 2017) (REUTERS) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESWOMAN HUA CHUNYING WALKING IN FOR REGULAR BRIEFING MEDIA SEATED (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESWOMAN HUA CHUNYING SAYING: "China consistently insists on using the 'one China' principle in handling the issue of the Taiwan region's exchanges, and firmly opposes country with which China has established relations conducting any type of official contact or military exchanges with Taiwan. Our position is clear and consistent. I believe the United States is extremely clear on this." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS EXTERIOR OF FOREIGN MINISTRY CHINESE FLAG FLYING
- Embargoed: 5th September 2017 11:14
- Keywords: China-Taiwan China and Taiwan Taiwan defense minister China warns US Taiwan visit to US
- Location: TAIPEI, TAIWAN / BEIJING, CHINA
- City: TAIPEI, TAIWAN / BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: Various
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016V8N5MV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: China warned the United States on Tuesday (August 22) against any military contacts with Taiwan ahead of brief visits by the self-ruled island's defense minister to the United States on his way to and from Central American allies.
The United States is Taiwan's main source of weapons and Taiwan has been pressing for sales of more advanced equipment to deal with the rapidly modernizing military of China, which claims Taiwan as its own.
Defense Minister Feng Shih-kuan would make brief transit stops in New York and Los Angeles on his Aug. 23-Sept. 8 trip, and had nothing else on his agenda in the United States, the ministry said.
The United States switched diplomatic recognition from Taiwan to China in 1979, acknowledging that China takes the position that there is "one China" and Taiwan is part of it. But the United States is also duty-bound by legislation to help the island defend itself.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None