- Title: George and Amal Clooney give $1 mln to combat U.S. hate groups
- Date: 22nd August 2017
- Summary: BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - JANUARY 11, 2015) (UNRESTRICTED POOL) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF GEORGE AND AMAL CLOONEY ON GOLDEN GLOBES RED CARPET
- Embargoed: 5th September 2017 19:39
- Keywords: George Clooney Amal Clooney Southern Poverty Law Center Charlottesville
- Location: LOS ANGELES AND BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / VENICE, ITALY
- City: LOS ANGELES AND BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / VENICE, ITALY
- Country: USA
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA0026V8PNPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Actor George Clooney and his humanitarian lawyer wife, Amal Clooney, have donated $1 million to the Southern Poverty Law Center, a U.S. non-profit that monitors extremists and domestic hate groups, in response to protests in Charlottesville, Virginia earlier this month.
"What happened in Charlottesville, and what is happening in communities across our country, demands our collective engagement to stand up to hate," the Clooneyâ€™s said in a joint statement.
An Aug. 12 rally in the town organized by white-nationalists led to counter-protests and the death of a woman when a car plowed into the crowd. The street battles triggered a political crisis for President Donald Trump, who praised "very fine people" on both sides of the fight.
The donation comes from the Clooney Foundation for Justice, which the couple established in 2016 to promote justice in classrooms and courtrooms around the world.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None