- Title: Barcelona residents say life must go on
- Date: 22nd August 2017
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (AUGUST 22, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BARCELONA AVENUE LAS RAMBLAS WITH PEOPLE WALKING POLICE POLICE, CANDLES AND FLOWERS CANDLES VARIOUS OF CANDLES AND MESSAGES CANDLES, RAMBLAS AND POLICE POLICE / CANDLES VARIOUS OF COUPLE AT SITE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) BARCELONA RESIDENT, ANTONIO LOPEZ, 73-YEARS-OLD, SAYING: "It has really hit me but it's in the past and we must bury the past and carry on with life, but there must be more prevention, the government must focus more on prevention because it hasn't at all." (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) BARCELONA RESIDENT, JULIA, 31-YEARS-OLD, SAYING: "It was done in cold blood, cold blood and calculated. This is not the end, it's the beginning." (SOUNDBITE) (English) HOMELESS FROM SCOTLAND LIVING IN BARCELONA, DAVID MCQUEEN, 83, HOMELESS SAYING: "It's a very happy city, very kind people here, there are bad people of course but there are very, very good people here and it will recover, these people (attackers) can't hurt us at all, these people can't hurt you." VARIOUS OF RAMBLAS CANDLES POLICE WALKING IN RAMBLAS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN RAMBLAS PEOPLE IN RAMBLAS AND FLOWERS CANDLES AND MESSAGES POLICE NEWSPAPER STAND
- Embargoed: 5th September 2017 10:34
- Keywords: attack Barcelona suspects tourists Las Ramblas Spain
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA0016V8NN0N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Barcelona residents continued on Tuesday (August 22) to pay tribute to the victims of the van attack that killed 13 people in central Barcelona as newspapers led with news that 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub, who they had identified as the driver of the van, had been gunned down by police on Monday (August 21) afternoon.
Despite the questions that remain and the shock amongst local residents, many remain resolute that life must go on.
"It has really hit me but it's in the past and we must bury the past and carry on with life, but there must be more prevention, the government must focus more on prevention because it hasn't at all," Antonio Lopez said.
On Thursday (August 17), a van careered along the packed Las Ramblas boulevard leaving a trail of 13 dead and 120 injured from 34 countries. After the attack, Abouyaaqoub escaped on foot, stabbing to death a man who was parking his car and fleeing in the vehicle.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None