- Title: Filipino activists call for justice ahead of Senate probe into drug war killings
- Date: 23rd August 2017
- Summary: FILIPINO ACTIVIST HOLDING BANNER WITH PHOTOGRAPH OF DRUG WAR VICTIM KIAN DELOS SANTOS
- Embargoed: 6th September 2017 12:33
- Keywords: drugs war Duterte drugs war boy killed in drugs war war on drugs Philippine protest Philippines
- Location: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- City: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- Country: Philippines
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026VDMXJ9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of Filipino activists held a rally in front of the Philippine National Police (PNP) headquarters in Manila on Wednesday (August 23), ahead of a Senate probe into the recent surge of deaths in President Rodrigo Duterte's war on drugs.
The activists demanded justice for 17-year-old high school student Kian Delos Santos who was among the 80 killed last week in so-called one-time big-time anti-drug operations in Manila and surrounding provinces.
Delos Santos' death has made national headlines and prompted several protests after CCTV footage showed plain-clothed policemen dragging the student to a dark alley where he was later found riddled with bullets.
Senators allied and opposed to Duterte has called for a hearing on the killings on Thursday (August 24), almost a year after the firebrand leader began his bloody crackdown on narcotics that has already killed 12,000, including a Korean businessman in February.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.