- Title: New Yorkers wish for luck in $700-million Powerball lottery jackpot
- Date: 23rd August 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF MACHINE PRINTING UP POWERBALL TICKETS (4 SHOTS)
- Embargoed: 6th September 2017 20:06
- Keywords: lottery tickets drawing Powerball gambling chance lotto
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0026VDPD8N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The odds against winning are astronomical, but millions of Americans will be hoping for some life-altering luck on Wednesday (August 23) night when winning numbers are drawn for the second-highest jackpot in the history of the Powerball lottery. A winning ticket could bring the holder an estimated $700 million windfall, a prize topped only by a January 2016 $1.56 billion Powerball jackpot, the world's largest lottery reward ever.
In New York City on Wednesday, newsstand owner Andy Patel welcomed Powerball lottery ticket buyers as they dreamed about what they would do if they won.
The drawing is set for 10:59 p.m. ET (0259 GMT Thursday) in Tallahassee, Florida, when five of 69 white balls and one of 26 red balls - the Powerball - will be randomly selected to form the six numbers a single ticket must have to take the jackpot.
The odds of a ticket having all six winning numbers do not change no matter how big the jackpot is. They are 292.2 million-to-1, according to the Multi-State Lottery Association. The estimated jackpot is $700 million only if the winner agrees to get 30 payments over 29 years. If a one-time payout is chosen, the jackpot is an estimated $443.4 million.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.