- Title: Vatican's top diplomat meets Russia's Putin
- Date: 23rd August 2017
- Summary: SOCHI, RUSSIA (AUGUST 23, 2017) (REUTERS) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN GREETS VATICAN'S SECRETARY OF STATE PIETRO PAROLIN AND MEMBERS OF VATICAN DELEGATION, OFFICIALS TAKE SEATS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "We value the dialogue between the Holy See and Russia." PAROLIN LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "(OVER WIDE OF MEETING IN PROGRESS) The agreements reached during my contacts with Pope Francis are being consistently out into practice." OFFICIALS LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "We welcome the direct dialogue that has started between the Holy See and the Russian Orthodox Church." CAMERAMAN FILMING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "The universal humanitarian values which are defended by the Holy See and the Russian Orthodox Church without doubt are the basis of relations between the two churches and between Russia as a state and Vatican." MEETING IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) VATICAN'S SECRETARY OF STATE PIETRO PAROLIN, SAYING (ACCORDING TO OFFICIAL TRANSLATION): "As to the bilateral relations between the Holy See and the Russian Federation - we are content with the way these relations progress, with various initiatives, contacts, meetings. Yesterday another agreement on visa-free regime for the diplomats was signed." MEETING IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) VATICAN'S SECRETARY OF STATE PIETRO PAROLIN, SAYING (ACCORDING TO OFFICIAL TRANSLATION): "Of course I see new dynamic in relations between the two churches which emerged in recent years and recent months. I hope that all the participants (of the dialogue) will continue their work in this direction so that our collaboration would become wider and closer." RUSSIAN DELEGATION LISTENING VATICAN DELEGATION MEMBER LISTENING MEETING IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 6th September 2017 16:48
- Keywords: Russia Vatican Orthodox church Pope Vatican's Secretary of State Pietro Parolin Sochi talks
- Location: SOCHI, RUSSIA
- City: SOCHI, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016VDNA6F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin met with Russian President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday (August 23) in the Black Sea resort of Sochi.
Russian leader and the Vatican diplomat underlined the progress reached in the dialogue between the Catholic and the Orthodox churches and expressed hopes for strengthening the bilateral ties.
On Tuesday (August 22) Parolin met with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill in Moscow.
The Eastern and Western branches of Christianity split apart in 1054. The pope, leader of the world's 1.2 billion Catholics, is seeking to improve ties, and last year in Cuba held what was the first ever meeting between a Roman Catholic pope and a Russian Orthodox patriarch.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None