- Title: U.S. envoy visits U.N. atomic watchdog as Trump reviews Iran deal
- Date: 23rd August 2017
- Summary: VIENNA, AUSTRIA (AUGUST 23, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF INTERNATIONAL ATOMIC ENERGY AGENCY (IAEA) FLAGS WAVING IN FRONT OF BUILDING, IRANIAN FLAG IN MIDDLE PERSON WALKING THROUGH ENTRANCE TO UN BUILDING SIGN AT ENTRANCE U.S. AMBASSADOR TO UNITED NATIONS (U.N.), NIKKI HALEY, WALKING IN FLAGS OUTSIDE THE BUILDING, U.S. FLAG IN MIDDLE OUTSIDE, VARIOUS OF A GROUP OF IRANIANS LIVING IN VIENNA DEMONSTRATING DEMONSTRATORS SHOUTING IN ENGLISH "Khamenei (Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei) is a terrorist" DEMONSTRATOR HOLDING FLAG SHOUTING "Mullahs are fascists, mullahs are terrorists" (SOUNDBITE) (English) DEMONSTRATOR, DOCTOR MANOUCHEHR FAKHIMI, SAYING: "I have found the only existing uranium mine in Iran, it was located in Soran, near of the city of Rasht. After that so-called Islamic revolution the Pasdaran organisation (Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps) have obliged me to cooperate with this regime for construction of atom bomb. I have denied it so my name; they put my name on the black list." BANNER READING "Over 3,000 executions under Rouhani" WITH PICTURE OF HANGING NOOSE AND VARIOUS OF FIGURES OF ALLEGEDLY EXECUTED PEOPLE (SOUNDBITE) (English) DEMONSTRATOR, DOCTOR MANOUCHEHR FAKHIMI, SAYING: "They are able to enrich uranium within four days to 20 percent. 20 percent enrichment of uranium is only for the production of atom bomb, that (it) has no use for other things." DEMONSTRATION
- Embargoed: 6th September 2017 15:11
- Keywords: Iran nuclear IAEA USA US ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley
- Location: VIENNA, AUSTRIA
- City: VIENNA, AUSTRIA
- Country: Austria
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016VDOR47
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley held closed-door talks with International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) officials in Vienna on Wednesday (August 23).
In an interview with Reuters on Tuesday (August 22), Haley described the meeting in Vienna as a fact-finding mission, which is part of President Donald Trump's review of the deal Iran made with world powers to curb its nuclear program in return for the lifting of most sanctions.
The United States wants to know if the United Nations atomic watchdog plans to inspect Iranian military sites to verify Tehran's compliance with a 2015 nuclear deal, she said in the interview.
Iran's top authorities have flatly rejected giving international inspectors access to their military sites, and Iranian officials have told Reuters that any such move would trigger harsh consequences.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None