- Title: Hundreds gather to search for missing French girl; two suspects freed
- Date: 2nd September 2017
- Summary: MISSING BOARD WITH DESCRIPTION OF THE GIRL, AND GENDARMERIE FORCES' CALL TO ANYONE WITH INFORMATION TO CONTACT THEM LE PONT-DE-BEAUVOISIN, FRANCE (SEPTEMBER 2, 2017) (REUTERS) ORGANIZERS OF CIVIC SEARCH DISTRIBUTING MAPS OF AREA MAPS IN BOX PEOPLE LOOKING AT MAPS MAP (SOUNDBITE) (French) MOTHER-OF-THREE-GIRLS WHO JOINED SEARCH, CHARLENE TONNIN, SAYING: "I am participating today because I am the mother of three children, three girls, so it was really important for me to participate, and if, unfortunately, this should happen to one of my three daughters, I really would like to see people do the same thing for me. I so much think about this mother, who must be devastated...it is about giving a hope to her parents that this little girl is well, and that we are going to find her." PEOPLE LOOKING AT MAPS MAP PEOPLE SEARCHING IN LAND BY ROAD PEOPLE SEARCHING IN TREES WOMAN SEARCHING THROUGH OVERGROWN LAND PERSON SEARCHING IN WOODED AREA PEOPLE WALKING AND SEARCHING IN WOODED AREA VARIOUS OF FATHER-OF-THREE WHO DROVE 60 KM TO PARTICIPATE IN SEARCH, LOIC TEXIER SEARCHING IN WOODED AREA (SOUNDBITE) (French) FATHER OF THREE WHO DROVE 60 KM TO PARTICIPATE IN SEARCH, LOIC TEXIER, SAYING: "I am a father of three children, with my eldest daughter being nine-year-old, so it really finds an echo in me. I live 60 kilometres away from here, but I had to do it, it was important for me, it could have happened to me, whenever, unfortunately, and if it does happen, I would have liked for people to be here for me." CONDOM WRAPPER FOUND BY PEOPLE ON FLOOR / PEOPLE CALLING GENDARMES TO REPORT IT (SOUNDBITE) (French) FATHER-OF-THREE WHO DROVE 60 KM TO PARTICIPATE IN SEARCH, LOIC TEXIER, SAYING: "Absolutely everything matters, the slightest thing, evidence is crucial." GENDARMERIE EXPLAINING TO PEOPLE SECURITY RULES AND PROCEDURES TO FOLLOW DURING SEARCH, AND IF THEY FIND SOMETHING WOMAN PARTICIPATING IN SEARCH LISTENING GENDARMERIE EXPLAINING TO PEOPLE SECURITY RULES (SOUNDBITE) (French) LA TOUR-DU-PIN GENDARMERIE GROUP'S COMMANDANT, JEAN PERTUE, SAYING: "Of course, there is a luck factor. We can't totally rule out that during the search today these people, who are in great numbers, find a trace, a clue. It is highly possible, and there is a procedure in place in case something is discovered to ensure there is no contamination of any evidence found, so we can then call on our specialists to take care of the situation, and we will carefully control with the organizers that it is respected." VANS BELONGING TO DIVERS SECTION OF GENDARMERIE, NEAR POND OF RECULFORT POND OF RECULFORT VARIOUS OF DIVERS INSPECTING POND VARIOUS OF DIVERS BEING GUIDED INTO WATER AND INSPECTING POND WATER/ WATER BLURRING LA TOUR-DU-PIN, FRANCE (SEPTEMBER 1, 2017) (REUTERS) GENDARMERIE OFFICES SIGN READING "GENDARMERIE" GENDARMERIE'S WINDOWS
- Embargoed: 16th September 2017 12:57
- Keywords: missing child child search France French missing girl Pont-de-Beauvoisin missing Maelys
- Location: LE PONT-DE-BEAUVOISIN AND LA TOUR-DU-PIN, FRANCE
- City: LE PONT-DE-BEAUVOISIN AND LA TOUR-DU-PIN, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0036WWJWP3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of people gathered on Saturday (September 2) in the small city of Le Pont-de-Beauvoisin in the French Alps to participate in a civic search for a nine-year-old girl who went missing last week while at a wedding party.
The girl, named by French authorities as Maelys de Araujo, was reportedly last seen at 3 a.m. (0100GMT) early Sunday (August 27) morning on the car park of a multifunctional hall where the wedding party was taking place, authorities said.
Two 34-year-old men were placed in custody over the course of the week, one being arrested on Wednesday (August 30) and a second on Friday (September 1), but both were released on Friday evening without being indicted.
The event, which is making headlines in France, has come as a shock for local residents, who came in number to try and find her, in a sign of compassion for the family of Maelys, to give them hope, with most of them identifying with the parents.
The authorities approved the civic search and were there on Saturday to give security advice to the people and remind them of the protocol to follow should they find something: leave everything where it is, take a picture and call the authorities, so they can properly investigate.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None