- Title: Hundreds gather to search for missing French girl; two suspects freed
- Date: 2nd September 2017
- Summary: LE PONT-DE-BEAUVOISIN, FRANCE (SEPTEMBER 2, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CROWD OF PEOPLE GATHERED IN FRONT OF HIGH SCHOOL, WAITING TO DEPART FOR CIVIC SEARCH PEOPLE ARRIVING FOR CIVIC SEARCH
- Embargoed: 16th September 2017 12:57
- Keywords: missing child child search France French missing girl Pont-de-Beauvoisin missing Maelys
- Location: LE PONT-DE-BEAUVOISIN AND LA TOUR-DU-PIN, FRANCE
- City: LE PONT-DE-BEAUVOISIN AND LA TOUR-DU-PIN, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0016WWJWP3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of people gathered on Saturday (September 2) in the small city of Le Pont-de-Beauvoisin in the French Alps to participate in a civic search for a nine-year-old girl who went missing last week while at a wedding party.
The girl, named by French authorities as Maelys de Araujo, was reportedly last seen at 3 a.m. (0100GMT) early Sunday (August 27) morning on the car park of a multifunctional hall where the wedding party was taking place, authorities said.
Two 34-year-old men were placed in custody over the course of the week, one being arrested on Wednesday (August 30) and a second on Friday (September 1), but both were released on Friday evening without being indicted.
The event, which is making headlines in France, has come as a shock for local residents, who came in number to try and find her, in a sign of compassion for the family of Maelys, to give them hope, with most of them identifying with the parents.
The authorities approved the civic search and were there on Saturday to give security advice to the people and remind them of the protocol to follow should they find something: leave everything where it is, take a picture and call the authorities, so they can properly investigate.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None