- Title: Glimpse of Pyongyang posh apartment -- in Seoul
- Date: 2nd September 2017
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (SEPTEMBER 2, 2017) (REUTERS) ENTRANCE TO SHOW HOUSE EXHIBITION OF MIDDLE-CLASS APARTMENTS IN PYONGYANG INTERIOR OF PYONGYANG APARTMENT SHOW HOUSE VARIOUS OF VISITORS LOOKING AROUND SHOW HOUSE PORTRAITS OF SILHOUETTES OF NORTH KOREAN FOUNDER, KIM IL SUNG (LEFT), AND NORTH KOREAN LATE LEADER, KIM JONG IL (RIGHT), HANGING ON WALL VISITOR TAKING PICTURE SIGN READING (English): "PYONGYANG SALLIM / DONGWOO YIM, CALVIN CHUA" FLAT TELEVISION SHOWING VIDEO OF PYONGYANG STREETS SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (SEPTEMBER 1, 2017) (REUTERS) INTERIOR OF LIVING ROOM INSIDE SHOW HOUSE (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) EXHIBITION CURATOR AND ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF URBAN ENGINEERING AT HONGIK UNIVERSITY, YIM DONG-WOO, SAYING: "Since Pyongyang is a place South Koreans have little access to, and its apartments more so, I created the show houses to give people an experience of one." SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (SEPTEMBER 2, 2017) (REUTERS) NORTH KOREAN DEFECTOR, CHOI SEONG-GUK, WALKING INTO SHOW HOUSE CHOI LOOKING AROUND VARIOUS OF CHOI LOOKING AT NORTH KOREAN FOOD PRODUCTS INSIDE KITCHEN CUPBOARD (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) NORTH KOREAN DEFECTOR WHO LIVED IN PYONGYANG, CHOI SEONG-GUK, SAYING: "It seems like a regular home of middle-class family. The colours of the furniture are the same and it is decorated with North Korean products. So I feel like I am in an apartment unit that belongs to a North Korean anti-Japanese guerrilla fighter family who doesn't like foreign products and shows off that they like their own goods."
- Embargoed: 16th September 2017 09:13
- Keywords: South Korea Pyongyang apartment exhibition North Korea Kim Jong Un
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA/ PYONGYANG, NORTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA/ PYONGYANG, NORTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Reuters ID: LVA0026WWJ1VP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS EDITED KRT MATERIAL
An exhibition offering a glimpse of life in the capital of North Korea opened on Saturday (September 2) with a replica of a middle-class home in Pyongyang where the property market is booming despite sanctions.
In North Korea, apartment units are increasingly-coveted status symbol.
The Pyongyang Sallim Exhibition at the Seoul Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism 2017 comes amid heightened tension on the Korean peninsula after the North fired a missile that flew over Japan and two ICBM-class missiles.
Curious crowds thronged the show flat filled with custom-made furniture and North Korean products. A defector acted as the exhibition docent.
The exhibition will run until November 5.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None