- Title: Glimpse of Pyongyang posh apartment -- in Seoul
- Date: 2nd September 2017
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) 24-YEAR-OLD SOUTH KOREAN STUDENT STUDYING INTERIOR DESIGN, LEE HYOUNG-JIN, SAYING: "I find it meaningful to see houses and interiors of Pyongyang in Seoul. I feel that life is the same everywhere and hope that South and North Korea can start communicating soon and begin a better relationship." INTERIOR OF KITCHEN IN SHOW HOUSE CUPBOARD WITH NORTH KOREAN FOOD PRODUCTS DISPLAYED INSIDE NORTH KOREAN SWEETS TERRACE NEXT TO BEDROOM IN SHOW HOUSE SOLAR PANEL ON DISPLAY AT TERRACE (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) EXHIBITION DOCENT, WHO IS NORTH KOREAN DEFECTOR FROM PYONGYANG, MUN YU-JIN, SAYING: "Having lived more than 20 years in Pyongyang, my life is there. I don't really think about the political aspects. But, all the things I loved, including my school, my friends and my family, are there. So I said 'yes' to the docent job without thinking too much so that I can show a little bit of to the South Koreans what Pyongyang is like." MUN LOOKING OUT OF TERRACE
- Embargoed: 16th September 2017 09:13
- Keywords: South Korea Pyongyang apartment exhibition North Korea Kim Jong Un
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA/ PYONGYANG, NORTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA/ PYONGYANG, NORTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Reuters ID: LVA0046WWJ1VP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS EDITED KRT MATERIAL
An exhibition offering a glimpse of life in the capital of North Korea opened on Saturday (September 2) with a replica of a middle-class home in Pyongyang where the property market is booming despite sanctions.
In North Korea, apartment units are increasingly-coveted status symbol.
The Pyongyang Sallim Exhibition at the Seoul Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism 2017 comes amid heightened tension on the Korean peninsula after the North fired a missile that flew over Japan and two ICBM-class missiles.
Curious crowds thronged the show flat filled with custom-made furniture and North Korean products. A defector acted as the exhibition docent.
The exhibition will run until November 5.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None