- Title: Uruguay battle Argentina to predictable stalemate
- Date: 1st September 2017
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (RECENT) (REUTERS) ARGENTINA TEAM TRAINING LIONEL MESSI KICKING BALL TEAM PRACTISING MESSI RUNNING WITH BALL ARGENTINE COACH JORGE SAMPAOLI COACHING TEAM
- Embargoed: 15th September 2017 15:15
- Keywords: World Cup Jorge Sampaoli Argentina loses to Uruguay
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA AND MONTEVIDEO, URUGUAY
- City: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA AND MONTEVIDEO, URUGUAY
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016WRMSE7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Uruguay and Argentina drew 0-0 in an uninspiring but hotly contested World Cup qualifier in Montevideo on Thursday (August 31), a result that leaves both sides still needing points to guarantee a place at Russia 2018.
The home side had the better of the first half and Argentina were on top during the second period but neither team posed much of a goal threat in a typically tense encounter.
Argentina coach Jorge Sampaoli made his disappointment clear with the result, telling reporters that his side must be "more aggressive" in the final third of the field when they play last-placed Venezuela next week.
The draw means Argentina lie in fifth place in the South American qualifying table with 23 points, behind Chile on goal difference. Uruguay, who have now gone six games without a win, are a point above them in third?
Brazil, the only one of the 10 teams to have already qualified for Russia, lead the table with 36 points after defeating Ecuador 2-0 at home.
The top four teams qualify automatically for Russia 2018 and the fifth-placed side goes into a play-off against a rival from the Oceania confederation.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None