- Title: File of Cambodian opposition party leader Kem Sokha who has been arrested
- Date: 3rd September 2017
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** MEDIA SPEECH IN PROGRESS VARIOUS OF SOKHA SPEAKING ON STAGE/ CNRP PARTY MEMBERS SEATED MEDIA SOKHA CLAPPING HANDS TRAFFIC PASSING IN FRONT OF CNRP HEADQUARTERS
- Embargoed: 17th September 2017 07:00
- Keywords: opposition leader Kem Sokha arrest Hun Sen
- Location: PHNOM PENH, PREY VENG PROVINCE CAMBODIA
- City: PHNOM PENH, PREY VENG PROVINCE CAMBODIA
- Country: Cambodia
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0056X1JI9X
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Cambodian opposition leader Kem Sokha was arrested in a police raid on his home early on Sunday (September 3) and veteran Prime Minister Hun Sen accused him of treason with the backing of the United States.
The arrest marks an escalation in a campaign against critics, independent media and any potential threats to Hun Sen's hold on power ahead of an election next year at which Kem Sokha has been expected to be his main challenger.
Kem Sokha, 64, has led the main opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) since his predecessor resigned in February, saying he feared a government plan to shut it down.
The CNRP said Kem Sokha's arrest was politically motivated and violated the law because his position as an elected lawmaker gave him immunity from prosecution.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None