- Title: Germany on brink of World Cup after Norway demolition
- Date: 4th September 2017
- Summary: LAGERBACK SPEAKING CAMERAS LAGERBACK LEAVING
- Embargoed: 18th September 2017 23:45
- Keywords: World Cup Russia 2018 qualifier qualifying round Germany Norway Joachim Loew Timo Werner Lars Lagerback
- Location: STUTTGART, GERMANY
- City: STUTTGART, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0036X6ITKV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Germany coach Joachim Loew said on Monday (September 4) his team had managed to find spaces and play into them in their Group C World Cup qualifying match, allowing them to thrash Norway 6-0.
Germany can now wrap up qualification away to second-placed Northern Ireland, who beat the Czech Republic 2-0, on October 5. The four-time world champions need a point from their last two games - in Belfast and three days later at home to Azerbaijan - to book their ticket to Russia in 2018.
Northern Ireland are five points behind the Germans, who have a maximum 24. The group winners qualify directly for the finals while the eight best second-placed teams in the nine groups go into a playoff round.
Germany have now won 26 of their last 31 World Cup qualifiers, having drawn the other five.
Norway's coach Lars Lagerback praised the German side, saying his own team could learn from an analysis of the match.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None