- Title: Colombia's Santos announces ELN ceasefire
- Date: 4th September 2017
- Summary: UNIDENTIFIED JUNGLE REGION, COLOMBIA (RECENT) (REUTERS) NATIONAL LIBERATION ARMY REBELS WALKING AROUND VARIOUS OF REBEL'S WEAPON AND BOOTS REBEL WITH WEAPONS IN JUNGLE
- Embargoed: 18th September 2017 16:41
- Keywords: Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos announces ceasefire with ELN rebels
- Location: BOGOTA AND UNIDENTIFIED JUNGLE REGION, COLOMBIA
- City: BOGOTA AND UNIDENTIFIED JUNGLE REGION, COLOMBIA
- Country: Colombia
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0016X6M79F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos confirmed on Monday that the government has agreed to a bilateral ceasefire with the ELN rebel group that will last 102 days.
"The priority is to protect citizens, so during this period, kidnappings, attacks on oil pipelines and other hostilities against the civilian population will cease," Santos said in a televised speech.
Earlier in the day, the ELN said it had agreed to the bilateral ceasefire with the government in honour of the visit of Pope Francis this week.
The rebel group, which regularly bombs oil installations and kidnaps for ransom, was founded by radical Catholic priests in 1964 and currently is in peace talks with the government to end 53 years of war.
This is the first ceasefire declared by the rebels.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None