- Title: Chinese President hosts dinner and gala at BRICS summit
- Date: 4th September 2017
- Summary: XI WALKING ONTO STAGE XI WALKING TOWARDS PODIUM
- Embargoed: 18th September 2017 16:13
- Keywords: Chinese President Xi Jinping BRICS summit emerging economies Brazil Russia India China South Africa
- Location: XIAMEN, FUJIAN PROVINCE, CHINA
- City: XIAMEN, FUJIAN PROVINCE, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026X6LIRR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Chinese President Xi Jinping hosted leaders from BRICS and its observer countries at a banquet and gala performances in Xiamen on Monday (September 4).
Xi welcomed his four BRICS counterparts, posing for photos with South African President Jacob Zuma, Brazilian President Michel Temer, Russian President Vladimir Putin, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and leaders of observer nations, ahead of a lavish dinner at the ninth BRICS summit.
Economic ties, such as the massive infrastructure investment project 'One Belt, One Road', were set to top the agenda at the three-day gathering in Xiamen, China which began on Sunday (September 3).
In his keynote speech at the plenary session, Xi highly commended the progress and development gained by the five emerging economies in the past decade and called for a second "golden decade" to benefit more people.
The BRICS leaders will gather again on Tuesday (September 5), giving host China its latest chance to position itself as a bulwark of globalisation in the face of U.S. President Donald Trump's "America First" agenda.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.