- Title: Tens of thousands rally in Chechnya in support of Rohingya Muslims
- Date: 4th September 2017
- Summary: GROZNY, RUSSIA (SEPTEMBER 4, 2017) (REUTERS) VIEW OF MOSQUE, PEOPLE GATHERING FOR RALLY RALLY IN PROGRESS, PROTESTERS HOLDING POSTERS POSTER READING (English): "STOP THE GENOCIDE OF ROHINGYA MUSLIMS" VARIOUS OF RALLY IN PROGRESS / PROTESTERS CHANTING VARIOUS TOP VIEWS OF RALLY VARIOUS TOP VIEWS OF PEOPLE IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) PROTESTER, RASUL BAIMURADOV, SAYING: "We came here to express our protest because our brothers in faith and in general people, children, adults and elderly, are being exterminated in Burma (Myanmar). We express our indignation and demand to stop all that." WOMEN HOLDING POSTERS READING (English): 'STOP GENOCIDE' PEOPLE HOLDING POSTER READING (Russian and English): 'STOP THE HORROR IN BURMA (MYANMAR)' MEN HOLDING PLACARDS WOMEN IN STREET PEOPLE IN SQUARE / PLACARD READING (English): 'WHO WILL SAVE MUSLIMS IN BURMA?' (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) PROTESTER, HASAN MAZHIEV, SAYING: "It is unacceptable for modern civilised world to stay silent when genocide is happening, ethnic cleansing of the whole people. We must not be silent. We must call on society, leaders of states, governments, everybody to stop that outrage." MEN WALKING ALONG STREET, MOSQUE IN BACKGROUND (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) PROTEST, MALIKA BAZAYEVA, SAYING: "They are my brothers and sisters in faith. Of course, I stand for them, I protest against it (genocide). That is inhuman. How can governors and all others, the entire world, be silent when such things take place?" VARIOUS OF MEN PRAYING IN SQUARE IN FRONT OF MOSQUE POSTER ON GROUND READING (Russian and English): 'STOP THE GENOCIDE OF MUSLIM IN MYANMAR' VARIOUS OF WOMEN AND MEN PRAYING IN SQUARE
- Embargoed: 18th September 2017 17:32
- Keywords: Russia Myanmar Chechnya Myanmar rally in Grozny Rohingya muslims Myanmar support Grozny rally Russia Muslims
- Location: GROZNY, RUSSIA
- City: GROZNY, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016X6M6H3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tens of thousands of people gathered in the centre of Grozny, the capital of Chechnya, on Monday (September 4) to take part in a rally in support for Rohingya Muslims.
They came to the square near the central mosque, known as the Heart of Chechnya, to protest against the violence the Rohingya Muslim minority face in Myanmar.
The crowd chanted "Allahu Akbar" at the rally and stayed in the streets for several hours. Later on Monday, thousands of people joined the prayer.
Nearly 90,000 Rohingya have fled to Bangladesh since Aug. 25, following an army crackdown triggered by attacks by Rohingya insurgents in Buddhist-majority Myanmar's northwestern Rakhine state.
The Rakhine violence has killed at least 400 people, most of them Rohingya insurgents, according to the Myanmar government, leading to the exodus of Rohingya to neighbouring Bangladesh that is struggling to cope with the influx.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None