- Title: German SPD leader says EU must stop accession talks with Turkey
- Date: 4th September 2017
- Summary: ABENSBERG, GERMANY (SEPTEMBER 4, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** GERMAN SOCIAL DEMOCRAT (SPD) LEADER AND SOCIAL DEMOCRAT CANDIDATE FOR CHANCELLOR, MARTIN SCHULZ ARRIVING FOR ELECTION CAMPAIGN EVENT (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN SOCIAL DEMOCRAT (SPD) LEADER AND CANDIDATE FOR CHANCELLOR, MARTIN SCHULZ, SAYING: "I think the TV debate has shown that there are two candidates running for election, who are capable of leading this country. Mrs. Merkel has done this for 12 years already. I think I have shown to the general public of Germany that I have a better plan for the future of the country, for a European Germany within a strong Europe." SCHULZ WALKING TOWARD BEER TENT VARIOUS OF SCHULZ SITTING DOWN IN BEER TENT AND CLINKING BEER GLASSES VARIOUS OF SPD SUPPORTERS CLAPPING AND CHEERING SCHULZ WAVING TO CROWD SUPPORTERS APPLAUDING SCHULZ SPEAKING (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN SOCIAL DEMOCRAT (SPD) LEADER AND CANDIDATE FOR CHANCELLOR, MARTIN SCHULZ, SAYING: "Turkey as it stands today - the Turkey of Recep Tayyip Erdogan, not the Turkey of the Democrats, of the 50 percent of people, who are against him, these are our friends, our allies - can't become member of the European Union. Therefore I have urged Angela Merkel yesterday (during the TV debate) to take a position. If I get the majority of Germans behind me and become the chancellor of Germany, then I will ask the European neighbours to stop the accession talks with Turkey." VARIOUS OF SPD SUPPORTERS APPLAUDING WIDE OF SCHULZ TALKING ON STAGE SCHULZ SPEAKING SUPPORTERS APPLAUDING PAN FROM CAMERAS TO SCHULZ SPEAKING ON STAGE
- Embargoed: 18th September 2017 12:45
- Keywords: Schulz election campaign debate
- Location: ABENSBERG, GERMANY
- City: ABENSBERG, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016X6IVYF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Germany's Social Democrat (SPD) leader Martin Schulz on Monday (September 4) underlined his call for a stop to the EU accession talks with Turkey, referring to a television debate with German chancellor Angela Merkel on Sunday (September 3), where first said that he would stop Turkey's bid to join the European Union if he was elected leader of Europe's most populous country.
"Therefore I have urged Angela Merkel yesterday to take a position. If I get the majority of Germans behind me and become the chancellor of Germany, then I will ask the European neighbours to stop the accession talks with Turkey," he told SPD supporters at one of Bavaria's oldest fairs, the Gillamooos Fair in Abensberg.
Turkey's European Union Affairs Minister Omer Celik said on Monday that any talk of ending his country's negotiations for EU accession amounted to an "attack on Europe's founding principles".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None