- Title: Japan will aim to increase missile defence with US: PM Abe
- Date: 4th September 2017
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (RECENT - AUGUST 29, 2017) (REUTERS) RADAR SYSTEM AND A PAC-3 LAUNCH PAD VARIOUS OF A PAC-3 LAUNCH PAD VARIOUS OF JAPANESE AIR SELF DEFENCE FORCE PERSONNEL PREPARING A RADAR SYSTEM JAPANESE AIR SELF DEFENCE FORCE PERSONNEL DURING A DRILL VARIOUS OF A RADAR SYSTEM SCANNING GROUP OF JAPANESE AIR SELF DEFENCE FORCE PERSONNEL DURING DRILL
- Embargoed: 18th September 2017 06:21
- Keywords: Japan Shinzo Abe North Korea PAC-3 the Aegis Ashore
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026X6K9QF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said on Monday (September 4) Japan would do its utmost, in cooperation with the United States, to defend itself against missiles fired by North Korea and to increase its missile defense capabilities.
Abe spoke at the start of a meeting of ruling coalition lawmakers a day after North Korea conducted its sixth, and most powerful, nuclear test.
He said Japan is planning to employ new land-based Aegis Ashore missile defense system in order to prepare for North Korea's missile threats.
Japanese air self defence personnel has recently participated in a drill operating the anti-ballistic missile system PAC-3 at the Yokota U.S. military base in Tokyo.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None