- Title: Ruling MPLA wins Angola election by 61.07 pct - electoral commission
- Date: 6th September 2017
- Summary: OPPOSITION PARTY UNITA SUPPORTERS DANCING
- Embargoed: 20th September 2017 17:59
- Keywords: election results MPLA UNITA Angola Lourenco Samakuva ruling MPLA wins Angola election
- Location: LUANDA, ANGOLA
- City: LUANDA, ANGOLA
- Country: Angola
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0066XGMO93
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Angola's ruling MPLA party won the general election, definitive results showed, garnering 61.07 percent of the votes, the electoral commission said on Wednesday (September 6).
The results mean Joao Lourenco of the People's Movement for the Liberation of Angola (MPLA) will be the next president of Angola, replacing Jose Eduardo dos Santos who governed the country for the past 38 years.
The main opposition National Union for the Total Independence of Angola (UNITA) took 26.67 percent, with the smaller opposition party CASA-CE winning 9.44 percent.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.