- Title: Dominican Republic braces for Irma
- Date: 6th September 2017
- Summary: SANTO DOMINGO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (SEPTEMBER 6, 2017) (REUTERS) GENERAL VIEW OF NEWS CONFERENCE HELD BY THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC'S EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTRE'S NATIONAL EMERGENCY COMMISSION JOURNALISTS WITH CAMERAS AT NEWS CONFERENCE COMMISSION OFFICIALS AT NEWS CONFERENCE JOURNALIST FILMING NEWS CONFERENCE ON PHONE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DIRECTOR OF THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC'S EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTRE, GENERAL JUAN MANUEL MENDEZ, SAYING: "An obligatory and preventative evacuation has been ordered in the provinces under red and yellow alerts. The population should respond to this. The civil defense is carrying these evacuations out." VARIOUS, CAMERAMEN AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC'S CIVIL DEFENSE, GENERAL RAFAEL ANTONIO CARRASCO PAULINO, SAYING: "Evacuations have been carried out in the Moscu, La Suiza, 5 de Abril and Los Americanos neighbourhoods of San Cristobal. These people have been transferred to family members' homes. We haven't used any of the 3,262 shelters that are distributed around the whole country, which have a capacity for over 900,000 people." GENERAL VIEW OF NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) NATIONAL METEOROLOGICAL OFFICE FORECASTER, FRANCISCO HOLGUIN, SAYING: "Following the trajectory - which to now has (Hurricane Irma) crossing the Atlantic very close, less than 50 or 100 kilometres (30 to 60 miles) away. This distance doesn't matter, we have to be prepared and above all listen to the guidance that comes out of the Emergency Operations Centre and the directions that the National Meteorological Office provides." NEWS CONFERENCE CONCLUDING ROOM IN EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTRE MAN TAKING PICTURES OF SCREENS IN EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTRE MAN IN FRONT OF MAP OF THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC WITH FLAG IN FOREGROUND MAN AT MAP OF DOMINICAN REPUBLIC WITH CLIPBOARD IN HAND CLOSE UP OF MAP WORKERS IN EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTRE MAJOR ROADS IN SANTO DOMINGO WITH TRAFFIC BILLBOARD WITH ONE SIGN REMOVED TRAFFIC IN SANTO DOMINGO BILLBOARD WITH SIGN REMOVED VARIOUS STREET IN COLONIAL ZONE PLAZA WITH CATHEDRAL IN SANTO DOMINGO
- Embargoed: 20th September 2017 19:56
- Keywords: Dominican Republic Hurricane Irma hurricane warning Atlantic Ocean Caribbean
- Location: SANTO DOMINGO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC / INTERNET
- City: SANTO DOMINGO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC / INTERNET
- Country: Dominican Republic
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wind/Hurricane/Typhoons/Tornadoes
- Reuters ID: LVA0016XGLZRB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Officials in the Dominican Republic continued preparations for the impending arrival of Hurricane Irma by ordering evacuations in zones expected to be pounded by hurricane force winds.
The head of the country's civil defense noted that shelters with space for over 900,000 people had been set up throughout this Caribbean country.
The eye of Irma, a Category 5 storm with winds of 185 miles per hour (295 km. per hour), was passing over the northernmost Virgin Islands on Wednesday (September 6) afternoon after crossing the half-French, half-Dutch island of St. Martin, the U.S. National Hurricane Centre said. Category 5 is its highest category.
On its current path the core of Irma, which the Miami-based centre said was the strongest Atlantic storm on record, was expected to pass near or just north of Puerto Rico on Wednesday before scraping the north coast of the Dominican Republic on Thursday.
Irma ranked as one of the five most powerful Atlantic hurricanes in the last 80 years and the strongest Atlantic storm recorded by the NHC outside the Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None