- Title: Israeli president holds prayer at Dachau.
- Date: 6th September 2017
- Summary: DACHAU, GERMANY (SEPTEMBER 6, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PEOPLE GATHERED AT DACHAU MEMORIAL SITE GALLERY VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LISTENING ISRAELI PRESIDENT REUVEN RIVLIN HOLDING PRAYER PEOPLE LISTENING RIVLIN HOLDING PRAYER ISRAELI FLAG VARIOUS OF SEEHOFER, STEINMEIER, RIVLIN GOING INTO MEMORIAL GALLERY VARIOUS OF SEEHOFER, STEINMEIER, RIVLIN COMING OUT OF MEMORIAL
- Embargoed: 20th September 2017 17:36
- Keywords: Dachau Reuven Rivlin Israel Holocaust memorial concentration camp
- Location: DACHAU, GERMANY
- City: DACHAU, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0016XGMP1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The presidents of Israel and Germany visited the former Nazi concentration camp at Dachau on Wednesday (September 6) and held a prayer after laying wreaths in memory of the people killed there.
More than 41,000 people died at Dachau, and more than 200,000 people had been imprisoned at the camp by the time it was liberated at the end of World War Two.
The Nazis set up the camp in Dachau, outside Munich, just weeks after Hitler took power in 1933. Initially designed to incarcerate political foes, it became the prototype for a network of concentration camps at which some 6 million Jews were murdered.
Israeli President Reuven Rivlin had travelled to southern Germany for the opening earlier on Wednesday of a memorial to the victims of the attack on the Israeli team at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich, in which Palestinian gunmen killed 11 people.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None