- Title: Catalonia announces law to formalise Oct. 1 vote on split from Spain
- Date: 6th September 2017
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 6, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF CATALONIAÂ´S PARLIAMENT
- Embargoed: 20th September 2017 19:16
- Keywords: Catalonia Referendum Parliament Carles Puigdemont
- Location: MADRID AND BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: MADRID AND BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Lawmaking,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016XGL45J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Catalonia on Wednesday (September 6) announced a law to make formal its plans for an Oct. 1 referendum on whether to declare independence from Spain, a vote the government says is illegal and has said it will stop.
Catalan lawmakers are due to vote later on Wednesday on the referendum law and the legal framework needed to set up an independent state. The laws will likely be approved because pro-independence parties have a majority in the regional parliament.
Polls in the northeastern region, whose capital is Barcelona, show support for self-rule waning as Spain's economy improves. But the majority of Catalans do want the opportunity to vote on whether to split from Spain.
The government on Wednesday said it had asked the Spanish constitutional court to declare the referendum law void as soon as it approved by the regional parliament. The Spanish constitution states that the country is indivisible.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None