- Title: German and Israeli presidents lay wreath at Dachau
- Date: 6th September 2017
- Summary: DACHAU, GERMANY (SEPTEMBER 6, 2017) (REUTERS) GERMAN PRESIDENT FRANK-WALTER STEINMEIER AND ISRAELI PRESIDENT REUVEN RIVLIN AND PARTY WALKING TOWARDS DACHAU GATES DACHAU GATE READING (German): WORK WILL SET YOU FREE RIVLIN AND STEINMEIER COMING THROUGH GATE ARM-IN-ARM RIVLIN AND STEINMEIER WITH BACKS TO CAMERA WATCHING PEOPLE COMING THROUGH GATE RIVLIN AND STEINMEIER TURNING ROUND CLOSE OF RIVLIN AND HIS WIFE NECHAMA RIVLIN RIVLIN AND HIS WIFE NECHAMA RIVLIN WITH STEINMEIER AND HIS WIFE ELKE BUEDENBENDER VARIOUS OF PRESIDENTS POSING FOR PHOTO RIVLIN, STEINMEIER AND BAVARIA STATE PREMIERE HORST SEEHOFER WALKING THROUGH DACHAU MEMORIAL SCULPTURE VARIOUS OF YOUTH CARRYING AND LAYING WREATHS WITH STEINMEIER, RIVLIN AND SEEHOFER FOLLOWING STEINMEIER, RIVLIN AND SEEHOFER SETTING RIBBONS ON WREATHS STEINMEIER, RIVLIN AND SEEHOFER WALKING AWAY DATES ON WALL 1933-1945 STEINMEIER, RIVLIN AND SEEHOFER WALKING AWAY
- Embargoed: 20th September 2017 16:43
- Keywords: Dachau Munich Olympians killing Israel Munich Olympic Memorial Reuven Rivlin
- Location: DACHAU, GERMANY
- City: DACHAU, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016XGHPON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The presidents of Israel and Germany visited the former Nazi concentration camp at Dachau on Wednesday (September 6) and laid wreaths in memory of the people killed there.
More than 41,000 people died at Dachau, and more than 200,000 people had been imprisoned at the camp by the time it was liberated at the end of World War Two.
The Nazis set up the camp in Dachau, outside Munich, just weeks after Hitler took power in 1933. Initially designed to incarcerate political foes, it became the prototype for a network of concentration camps at which some 6 million Jews were murdered.
Israeli President Reuven Rivlin had travelled to southern Germany for the opening earlier on Wednesday of a memorial to the victims of the attack on the Israeli team at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich, in which Palestinian gunmen killed 11 people.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None