- Title: Peru celebrates 80 years of surrealist painter Gerardo Chavez with new exhibition
- Date: 7th September 2017
- Summary: LIMA, PERU (RECENT - SEPTEMBER 6, 2017) (REUTERS) "LABYRINTH OF JUSTICE" PAINTING FROM GERARDO CHAVEZ "PARROT WITH BEAKS" PAINTING FROM GERARDO CHAVEZ "THEY LOOKED FOR LIGHT" PAINTING FROM GERARDO CHAVEZ GENERAL VIEW OF CHAVEZ SEATED AMONGST EXHIBIT AS MEN ORGANISE INSTALLATION CHAVEZ WALKING TOWARDS MEN ORGANISING INSTALLATION CHAVEZ ADJUSTING INSTALLATION (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PAINTER, GERARDO CHAVEZ, SAYING: "My mother died when I was five years old and my father, took us from Trujillo (city) to Paijan (town). We had a rather beautiful life there. At this time, I really don't have to talk about that (his life experience) but rather to sublimate it because the essence of creation is found in pain." CHAVEZ ADJUSTING INSTALLATION "PROCESSION OF THE FATHER" PAINTING FROM CHAVEZ DETAIL OF "PROCESSION OF THE FATHER" PAINTING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PAINTER, GERARDO CHAVEZ, SAYING: "My influence here is very primary, very primitive. I'm referring to cave paintings. When I do what I do, the current man has to do with cave art and I feel it's a manifestation where time has passed." "THE MAN FROM CHAN CHAN" PAINTING VARIOUS OF DETAILS OF "PROCESSION OF THE FATHER" PAINTING GENERAL VIEW OF OPENING PARTY FOR EXHIBITION GUESTS AT EXHIBITION PARTY GUESTS LOOKING AT CHAVEZ PAINTING MUSEUM VISITORS AMONGST CHAVEZ PAINTINGS AND INSTALLATIONS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PERU CULTURE MINISTER, SALVADOR DEL SOLAR, SAYING: "This is an extraordinary collection of more than 200 paintings that show the full range of Chavez's career. The walls of the Culture Ministry are packed and we have enormous wall spaces to be able to hang these murals that speak about Chavez's dreams and, as he says, the very Peruvian origins of his painting." VISITORS SEATED AT MUSEUM AT EXHIBITION "CREATION OF THE NEW MAN" PAINTING FROM CHAVEZ MUSEUM VISITORS DECLARING THEY ARE FANS OF CHAVEZ GENERAL VIEW OF PEOPLE AT EXHIBITION SCULPTURES AT EXHIBITION (Spanish) PAINTER, GERARDO CHAVEZ, SAYING: "Where are we going? Isn't that so? That is the question the artist always asks, where are we going? And every time we find on the way, things we understand less and this incomprehension makes us think that it (civilisation) is heading towards destruction." "LOVER IN PARIS" PAINTING "THE LAST IDOL" PAINTING CHAVEZ PAINTING AT EXHIBITION
- Embargoed: 21st September 2017 22:26
- Keywords: painter retrospective Gerardo Chavez exhibition art Lima Peru
- Location: LIMA, PERU
- City: LIMA, PERU
- Country: Peru
- Topics: Art,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0016XLNHAB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Peru is marking the 80th birthday of its acclaimed surrealist painter Gerardo Chavez with an exhibition bringing together hundreds of his works.
The exhibition Chavez80 is a retrospective that marks the evolution of the Peruvian painter's illustrious career. Starting off as an artist in Peru, Chavez' work took on a distinct cubist flavour. But moving to Europe in the 1960s, his painting flair took on more surrealist elements with works such as "El Ultimo Idolo" ("The Last Idol") and "Los Emigrantes" ("The Emigrants") that contemplated the past and future of mankind.
During his decade in the art world, Chavez has garnered the attention of international critics. In Italy, the Peruvian painter developed a strong following. His first exhibition was held in Florence, where he was a special guest of the Sixtine Gallery and was awarded Best Foreign Painter of 1961 in the Italian city of Viareggio. Later returning home to Peru, his hometown of Trujillo honoured Chavez with a Gold Medal for his work and success in Europe.
The exhibition Chavez80 brings together more than 200 unique pieces from the painter. Also on display will be sketches and sculptures which explore some of the familiar themes in Chavez' work such as the pre-Hispanic origins of the continent.
Chavez80 will be on show at Lima's Museum of the Nation until mid November.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None