- Title: Trump's son says met Russian lawyer for damaging information on Clinton -NYT
- Date: 8th September 2017
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (FILE) (REUTERS) U.S. CAPITOL BUILDING
- Embargoed: 22nd September 2017 00:40
- Keywords: Trump Donald Trump Junior meeting Russian lawyer Hillary Clinton emails
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., CLEVELAND, OHIO, UNITED STATES; VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA; MOSCOW; RUSSIA
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., CLEVELAND, OHIO, UNITED STATES; VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA; MOSCOW; RUSSIA
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016XLNVIF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. President Donald Trump's eldest son told Senate investigators on Thursday (September 7) that he had set up a June 2016 meeting with a Russian lawyer because she might have had damaging information about Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, the New York Times reported.
Donald Trump Jr., in a prepared statement to Senate Judiciary Committee investigators in a meeting behind closed doors, said it was important to learn about Clinton's "fitness" to be president, the paper said.
The younger Trump has released emails that showed he welcomed the prospect of receiving damaging information in the meeting with Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya and others in Trump Tower.
Russia has loomed large over the start of the Trump presidency. U.S. intelligence agencies have concluded that Russia worked to tilt the 2016 presidential election in Trump's favor. Several congressional committees and a special counsel are also looking into the matter.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None