- Title: Catalan wake up to news of independence law
- Date: 7th September 2017
- Summary: FRONT PAGE OF SPANISH NEWSPAPER EL PAIS WITH HEADLINE (Spanish) READING: "THE SEPARATISTS IMPOSE THEIR REFERENDUM IN PARLIAMENT"/FRONT PAGE OF CATALAN NEWS PAPER LA VANGUARDIA WITH HEADLINE (Spanish) READING: "THE (CATALAN) GOVERNMENT CALLS THE 1-O (OCTOBER FIRST) AFTER IMPOSING THEIR MAJORITY" FRONT PAGE OF CATALAN NEWSPAPER EL PUNT AVUI WITH HEADLINE READING (Catalan) "WE ARE CALLED FOR THE 1-O." NEWSPAPERS ON DISPLAY/FRONT PAGE OF CATALAN NEWSPAPER EL PERIODICO WITH HEADLINE READING (Spanish) "DISOBEDIENCE"
- Embargoed: 21st September 2017 10:20
- Keywords: Catalonia Independence Barcelona Reaction
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0026XLKQIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Barcelona residents on Thursday (September 7) woke up to news of a law passed in parliament overnight which will allow them to vote in an independence referendum on October 1.
After 12 hours of often chaotic debate at the Catalan parliament, a majority voted for the referendum and the legal framework to set up a new state, under which the assembly would declare independence within 48 hours of a "yes" vote.
A Barcelona resident said she was 'delighted' by the news while a French citizen living in Barcelona said the process will fail if it goes ahead without the central government's approval.
Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has said his government will stop what it says would be an illegal vote.
Courts have already suspended from office and levelled millions of euros in fines at Catalan politicians who organised a non-binding referendum in 2014, which returned a "yes" vote on a low turnout.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.