- Title: EU withdrawal bill vital to ensuring orderly Brexit - minister
- Date: 7th September 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (SEPTEMBER 7, 2017) (REUTERS) HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT / DEMONSTRATORS DRESSED IN TUDOR FANCY DRESS (INCLUDING MAN DRESSED AS HENRY VIII) DEMONSTRATORS WALKING, HOLDING ROYAL FLAGS AND PLACARDS READING: (English) "Don't behead our democracy" PHOTOGRAPHERS TAKING PICTURES OF DEMONSTRATORS VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATORS STANDING AND HOLDING PLACARDS READING: (English) "Don't behead our democracy" PRO-EU SUPPORTER HOLDING UP EU FLAG OUTSIDE PARLIAMENT VARIOUS OF HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT SEEN FROM RIVER THAMES VARIOUS OF UNION FLAG FLYING OVER PARLIAMENT
- Embargoed: 21st September 2017 14:44
- Keywords: Brexit European Union EU withdrawal bill David Davis Parliament
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0036XLL7WN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Legislation to sever political, financial and legal ties with the European Union is vital to ensuring Britain leaves the bloc in an orderly manner, Brexit minister David Davis said on Thursday (September 7) at the start of a debate in parliament on the EU Withdrawal Bill.
The opposition Labour Party has said it cannot support the bill because of the powers it grants ministers to amend the law without a vote, calling it a legislative blank cheque. Shadow Brexit minister, Keir Starmer, said the name of the bill should have been changed to "the great power grab bill".
Outside parliament, demonstrators dressed in Tudor costumes protested against what they called the widespread use of 'Henry VIII' clauses, saying ministers would use the powers to water down rights and protections.
Parliament will vote on the bill on Monday (September 11).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None