- Title: Rajoy holds extraordinary cabinet meeting to address Catalonia situation
- Date: 7th September 2017
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 7, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF SPAIN'S CONSTITUTIONAL COURT / TV SATELLITE TRUCKS PARKS ON ROADSIDE SPANISH FLAG EXTERIOR OF SPAIN'S CONSTITUTIONAL COURT COURT'S MAIN GATE PLACARD READING IN SPANISH "CONSTITUTIONAL COURT" VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF CONSTITUTIONAL COURT
- Embargoed: 21st September 2017 13:13
- Keywords: Catalonia Independence Spain Government Mariano Rajoy Cabinet
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0026XLLPHF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy held an extraordinary cabinet meeting on Thursday (September 7) to analyse the situation after Catalonia's parliament voted on Wednesday (September 6) to hold an independence referendum on October 1st.
Rajoy met with the leader of the socialist party Pedro Sanchez before gathering his cabinet to decide how the government should proceed, after a majority of the members of the Catalan Parliament voted for the referendum and the legal framework to set up a new state.
Rajoy is expected to hold a news conference after the cabinet meeting.
The government has asked the Spanish constitutional court to declare the referendum law void as soon as it is approved by the regional parliament.
The Spanish constitution states that the country is indivisible.
The state prosecutor-general, Jose Manuel Maza, told reporters on Thursday that his office would also present criminal charges against members of Catalonia's government for signing off on the law.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None