- Title: Libyan coastguard intercepts 378 migrants at sea
- Date: 24th November 2017
- Summary: TRIPOLI, LIBYA (NOVEMBER 24, 2017) (REUTERS) TRIPOLI NAVAL BASE/AMBULANCE VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS ON BOAT MIGRANTS EXITING BOAT/ SITTING ON DOCK MIGRANTS WALKING ON DOCK MIGRANTS COVERING FACE MIGRANTS WALKING DOWN RAMP FROM BOAT VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS/CHILDREN OF MIGRANTS SITTING AT BASE DOCK CHILD WOUNDED MIGRANT ON BED AID WORKERS NEAR WOUNDED MIGRANT MIGRANT WITH CHILD SITTING MIGRANTS EXITING BOAT MIGRANT ON STRETCHER MIGRANT ON STRETCHER LOADED ON AMBULANCE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) COLONEL ABDELHAMID RASHEED, SAYING: "We were assigned on a recon patrol mission to protect the Libyan waters. During the patrol there were three boats over different days. We were sailing for 72 hours and over the first two days we rescued two boats and today we rescued the third boat. The number (of migrants) is 378 including women, children and men." VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS WALKING ON NAVAL BASE DOCK
- Embargoed: 8th December 2017 22:59
- Keywords: Libya Migrants coastguard rescue
- Location: TRIPOLI, LIBYA
- City: TRIPOLI, LIBYA
- Country: Libya
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00178U62IV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Some 378 migrants were rescued in Libya after three boats incurred damage in the Mediterranean Sea, officials said.
The rescue operation was conducted by the Libyan coast guard and took place over 72 hours.
The third and final boat arrived at the Tripoli naval base on Friday (November 24).
More than 33,000 migrants have died at sea trying to reach European shores since 2000, making the Mediterranean "by far the world's deadliest border", the United Nations migration agency said on Friday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None