- Title: England head coach Jones extends contract until 2021
- Date: 17th January 2018
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (JANUARY 17, 2018) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** ENGLAND COACH EDDIE JONES WALKING INTO STADIUM DRESSING ROOM AND SITTING DOWN NEXT TO ENGLAND RUGBY FOOTBALL UNION CEO, STEVE BROWN VARIOUS OF JONES SHAKING HANDS WITH BROWN JONES AND BROWN SMILING FOR CAMERAS VARIOUS OF JONES SITTING IN DRESSING ROOM POSING FOR PHOTOS JONES WALKING INTO NEWS CONFERENCE ROOM AND SITTING DOWN (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND RUGBY COACH, EDDIE JONES, SAYING: "Well I'm delighted to extend. It's quite exciting. The team's got great potential. What I'd also like to be involved in is creating a sustainably successful team and I think I can play a role in doing that. First priority is to win the World Cup and after that making sure the guy that's going to take over has a good team to be involved in, has a good structure and hopefully I can play a role in ensuring that happens. It's quite a unique situation in world rugby to be able to do this. I'm delighted to be able to take a part in this process. It doesn't change anything. Our first priority is to win the World Cup and everything we do over the next period of time is geared towards that." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND RUGBY COACH, EDDIE JONES, SAYING: "I was never arrogant or presumptuous enough to think I was going to be offered anything beyond the contract. I went away over Christmas, had some time in Australia and Japan, came back refreshed and then Steve (Brown - England RFU CEO) and I had a chat. He offered the opportunity, I could see the value that possibly I can bring to that situation and it was an easy decision in the end." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 31st January 2018 16:57
- Keywords: Eddie Jones Rugby Union World Cup England
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Rugby Union,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0017YI16BJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: England head coach Eddie Jones has signed a contract extension to keep him in the role until 2021, working with his eventual successor in the final year, the Rugby Football Union (RFU) said on Wednesday (January 17).
Jones, who took over the reins in November 2015, was originally contracted until the end of the 2019 World Cup campaign and the new contract includes a break clause based on England's performance in Japan.
The 57-year-old Australian has led England to consecutive Six Nations triumphs as well as series wins in Australia and Argentina.
The RFU said a process for appointing Jones's eventual successor had been agreed.
Jones said he was delighted to be asked to stay on and help in the process of bringing in his successor.
Steve Brown, the RFU chief executive, said Jones's results spoke for themselves with the Australian enjoying a 95 percent win rate.
Jones is set to name his squad on Thursday (January 18) ahead of England's opening Six Nations match against Italy on February 4.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None