- Title: Peru shamans bless Pope Francis ahead of visit
- Date: 17th January 2018
- Summary: CLOSE SHOT, IMAGE OF POPE FRANCIS AS SHAMANS BRUSH IT WITH FLOWERS
- Embargoed: 31st January 2018 18:07
- Keywords: Peru Lima Pope Francis Catholic Church papal visit Peruvian Shamans ritual blessing
- Location: LIMA, PERU
- City: LIMA, PERU
- Country: Peru
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0047YI41TZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A group of Peruvian shamans performed a ritual on Wednesday (January 17) to bring good luck to the visit of Pope Francis who arrives in Peru on Thursday (January 18).
The shamans performed the ritual on a Lima beach where they played musical instruments, and showered an image of Pope Francis with flower petals.
The ritual is meant to call on Mother Earth, or Pachamama, to give good luck and protection to Pope Francis during his travel in this Andean country.
One of the shamans, Juan Osco, affirmed, "His arrival will be looked on favourably, there will be good news."
Francis arrived in Chile on Monday (January 15) and will travel to Peru Thursday (January 18) where he will stop in Lima, Puerto Maldonado and Trujillo before departing on Sunday (January 21).
The South America trip is the 22nd overseas trip of Francis' pontificate and the sixth to the continent of his birth.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.