- Title: Romanian MP targeted by prosecutors named to head EU funds ministry
- Date: 26th January 2018
- Summary: BUCHAREST, ROMANIA (JANUARY 26, 2018) (REUTERS) CAMERA ON TRIPOD DURING NEWS CONFERENCE DANCILA LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE BUCHAREST, ROMANIA (RECENT - JANUARY 2018) (REUTERS) GOVERNMENT BUILDING ROMANIAN FLAG FLYING
- Embargoed: 9th February 2018 15:43
- Keywords: Romania government Viorica Dancila European Funds Ministry Romania prime minister-designate
- Location: BUCHAREST, ROMANIA
- City: BUCHAREST, ROMANIA
- Country: Romania
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0037ZR07CP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART AUDIO AS INCOMING
Romanian Prime Minister-designate Viorica Dancila announced on Friday (January 26) the creation of a new ministry to handle European Union funds and nominated as its head a lawmaker whom anti-corruption prosecutors have tried to investigate.
The move may annoy some Romanians, who have protested in their tens of thousands over the past year against official corruption, and fuel renewed concerns in the EU about Bucharest's commitment to tackling graft.
Dancila's cabinate, Romania's third in just a year, will be mainly judged by voters and investors by its ability to tackle high-level corruption, political analysts say.
The Prime Minister-designate said she would keep a third of the outgoing government in place. It is expected to easily win a vote of confidence on Monday (January 29) given the PSD's big parliamentary majority.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None