- Title: New challenges for Eddie Redmayne and Maisie Williams in "Early Man"
- Date: 25th January 2018
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JANUARY 12, 2018) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR EDDIE REDMAYNE SAYING: "I love that Dug, and the film, and I think Nick, is really uncynical. There is a lot of hope and warmth and humour. I think I've sort of, as I've got older I've probably got more cynical so it's been quite a good way to try and sort of siphon some of that off." LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JANUARY 25, 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TWO WOMEN POSING FOR SELFIES NEXT TO NEWLY-UNVEILED EDDIE REDMAYNE WAX FIGURE AT MADAME TUSSAUDS FACE OF REDMAYNE WAXWORK VARIOUS OF REDMAYNE FIGURE HOLDING GLASS OF WHITE WINE REDMAYNE WAX FIGURE NEXT TO LARGE ILLUMINATED LETTER 'E' SIGN FOR MADAME TUSSAUDS ENTRANCE WITH REDMAYNE FIGURE IN BACKGROUND LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JANUARY 12, 2018) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR EDDIE REDMAYNE SAYING: "Useless, I'm useless at football. I enjoy watching football, I don't know anything about it. I used to go, my family all support Arsenal and I used to go when I was a kid but whenever I went to watch live they would always lose so my family banned me from going to watch Arsenal. But I'm looking forward to the World Cup. I love it when the country gets behind something."
- Embargoed: 8th February 2018 17:46
- Keywords: animation Aardman studios Nick Park Eddie Redmayne Early Man movie Game of Thrones Redmayne figure unveiled Maisie Williams Madame Tussauds waxwork
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM AND VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM AND VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA0047ZM1FT9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: "Early Man", the new stop motion animation, shows Oscar-winner Eddie Redmayne and Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams like you've never seen them before - both literally and figuratively.
The Aardman production sees Redmayne reveal his funny side and Williams explore new dimensions.
Directed by Academy Award-winner Nick Park, "Early Man" is a prehistoric-era comedy adventure with a big message.
Speaking to Reuters ahead of the film's UK premiere, Park described "Early Man" as "an underdog sports movie with a prehistoric twist" that teaches a lesson about the importance of team work.
Redmayne and his wife Hannah Bagshawe are expecting their second child and the actor said becoming a father was "an element" in wanting to make a child-friendly movie.
Other appealing factors were its humour, warmth and hope, the actor, whose wax figure was unveiled at London's Madame Tussauds on Thursday (January 25), added.
"Early Man" tells the story of brave young caveman Dug (Redmayne) who has to get his tribe to work together to save their home from the terrifying Lord Nooth (voiced by Tom Hiddleston).
The movie is also a tongue-in-cheek retelling of the birth of football and the clash of two civilisations.
During his adventures into Bronze Age, Dug meets Goona (Williams) a feisty young girl with great football skills. Because she is a girl, Goona is not allowed to play in her town's sacred football stadium.
Real-life female footballers provided the inspiration for Goona, said Park.
"There's a strong football element in the film and to be a representative of how women are in football, and it's really kind of on the rise in the UK it's big in America as women's football, so it's important to be true to that I think," Park said, adding that he believed his choice of style and material - clay - allowed for greater authenticity and also helps the film to stand out against the many CG films.
Williams said she believed her character would serve as a great role model for young girls.
Many of the characters in the film have a strong accent and Williams's Goona speaks in a melodic, sing-song style.
The actress said she had found the voice for Goona while watching videos posted by a Norwegian girl on Youtube.
Only being able to convey her emotions using her voice was a new challenge, Williams said, adding that she was also looking forward to other new opportunities that would follow Game of Thrones.
"Early Man" is released in the UK on Friday (January 26).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None