- Title: Covered on the catwalk: modest fashion struts its stuff in Paris
- Date: 26th January 2018
- Summary: SAINT-DENIS, FRANCE (FILE - NOVEMBER 15, 2015) (REUTERS) PEOPLE IN OUTDOOR MARKET WOMAN WEARING HEAD SCARF IN MARKET COUPLE WITH WOMAN WEARING HEAD SCARF SITTING AT TABLE WITH THEIR CHILD VARIOUS OF WOMEN, INCLUDING SOME WEARING VEIL, SHOPPING
- Embargoed: 9th February 2018 15:03
- Keywords: Fashion Paris modest fashion Oriental Fashion Show Modestissime Hotel de Crillon secularism religion
- Location: PARIS, MARSEILLE, CANNES & ST DENIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, MARSEILLE, CANNES & ST DENIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Fashion
- Reuters ID: LVA0067ZQXSGL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: VIDEO RESENT WITH CORRECTION TO READ "MARSEILLE" INSTEAD OF "NICE" AND ADDS "CANNES" TO LOCATIONS
Models in brightly coloured pant suits and ankle-length dresses graced a Paris catwalk this week in what organisers said was the city's first show of modest fashion that highlights styles popular with Muslim women.
The event was part of the Oriental Fashion show held on the sidelines of the city's haute couture fashion week, which showcases designers from Asia and the Middle East.
Organisers said modest fashion had met resistance in France because of its religious associations but there was demand for the styles in the country and beyond.
Modest fashion conforms to conservative social standards common in the Middle East. In recent years, it has attracted mainstream interest and brands including Dolce & Gabbana, Uniqlo and Burberry have entered the sector.
Spending by Muslims on clothing and apparel is projected to reach $368 billion by 2021, according to the 2017 Reuters State of the Global Islamic Economy report.
France, under former conservative President Nicolas Sarkozy, was the first European country to pass a law banning burqa and niqab garments that conceal the face in public. Belgium later followed suit, as did the Swiss canton of Ticino.
Authorities said the full-faced veil is a security risk because it inhibit identification. France has the largest Muslim minority in Europe, estimated at 5 million, and some of Europe's most restrictive laws about expressions of faith in public.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None