- Title: Philippine volcano continues to erupt as thousands evacuate
- Date: 25th January 2018
- Summary: EVACUEES LINING UP FOR FREE MEAL VARIOUS OF VOLUNTEER POURING RICE PORRIDGE ON BOWLS OF EVACUEES
- Embargoed: 8th February 2018 09:35
- Keywords: Mount Mayon volcano evacuees evacuation centres
- Location: ALBAY PROVINCE, PHILIPPINES
- City: ALBAY PROVINCE, PHILIPPINES
- Country: Philippines
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA0047ZLZYV9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: An erupting Philippine volcano spewing ash and smoke forced thousands to flee to evacuation centres on Thursday (January 25).
The volcano's alert level remains just one notch below the highest level of 5 after days of "intense but sporadic lava fountaining" and almost regular ash eruptions from the summit crater.
State volcanologists said a major eruption is possible as magma continues to build up.
More than 75,500 residents had fled their homes since Mount Mayon began spewing lava, according to the Philippine disaster agency. Schools have been converted to temporary shelters and classes have been suspended in 17 cities and municipalities.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.