- Title: Mangled carriages seen up close after train derails in Italy
- Date: 25th January 2018
- Summary: PIOLTELLO, ITALY (JANUARY 25, 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DAMAGED CARRIAGES OF DERAILED TRAIN / CARRIAGES OFF TRACK
- Embargoed: 8th February 2018 15:59
- Keywords: Italy train derailment train accident emergency services dead
- Location: PIOLTELLO, ITALY
- City: PIOLTELLO, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Ground Accidents/Collisions,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA0017ZM253B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The mangled wreckage of several carriages lay across a rail track in northern Italy on Thursday (January 25) after a train derailment left three people killed and several seriously injured.
A regional train carrying some 250 people, operated by Trenord, derailed at the Pioltello Limito station, some 40 kilometres from Milan.
A spokesperson for Trenord said the train had been travelling at a normal speed as it approached the station. State train firm Ferrovie dello Stato said it had detected some structural collapse in the track but that it was still unclear whether this was a cause or a consequence of the accident.
The line links Milan and the northern city of Cremona. The accident caused disruption to rail traffic and some trains had to be re-routed.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None