- Title: Heads shaved, hair cut in central London to support women's rights in Iran
- Date: 26th November 2022
- Summary: LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM (NOVEMBER 26, 2022) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ARTIST VICTORIA GUGGENHEIM SHAVING HER HEAD TO PROTEST WOMEN'S RIGHTS IN IRAN / PROTESTERS CHANTING BASKET WOMAN CUTTING HER HAIR OFF WOMAN CUTTING HER HAIR, SAYING (English): â€œIn solidarity with my sister, your sister our sister." / LOUD HAILER PLACED IN FRONT OF HER, WOMAN CONTINUING: â€œYour sister, our sister, for the women's revolution in Iran.â€ VARIOUS OF CROWD (SOUNDBITE) (English) ARTIST VICTORIA GUGGENHEIM, SAYING: â€œI shaved my head in solidarity with the women of Iran. This is a women's revolution. They have been oppressed by the Islamic regime for decades. Their bodies are policed, their minds are policed, their choices are severely limited. After the brutal murder of Mahsa AminiÂ things rightfully erupted.â€ PERSON FILMING PROTEST VARIOUS OF WOMEN INTERPRETING FARSI VERSION OF â€˜A RAPIST IS IN YOUR PATHâ€™, CHILEAN WOMEN'S RIGHTS ANTHEM (SOUNDBITE) (English) PROTESTER PARINAZ PARTOW, SAYING: â€œI did haircut my hair for Iranian women. For my daughters, for my sisters, for my mother and for my grandmum. For freedom, democracy, equality, for all of Iranians in Iran. To show my support and solidarity with my sisters â€“ millions of sisters in Iran and in the world.â€ PERSON FILMING PROTEST VARIOUS OF PROTEST
- Embargoed: 10th December 2022 18:35
- Keywords: Hair Iran London Protest UK Women
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: UK
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Europe,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001252526112022RP1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Several dozens of activists on Saturday (November 26) shaved their heads or cut off their hair in Londonâ€™s Piccadilly Circus in support of women's rights in Iran where protests have shaken the country in the wake of the killing of Mahsa Amini.
One protester, artist Victoria Guggenheim, shaved her head completely to the chants of 'Woman, Life, Liberty' of the assembled crowd, swelled by Saturday evening shoppers and tourists.
The activists also performed a version translated into Farsi of â€˜A rapist is in your pathâ€™ â€“ a Chilean song that has become one of the anthems of the feminist movement.
Amini, a 22-year-old woman, died while in the custody of Iranâ€™s morality police â€“ igniting a wave of protests. Her father has blamed the police for her death, but an Iranian coronerâ€™s report said she died from multiple organ failure, not violence.
(Production: Yann Tessier, Olga Vyshnevska)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2022. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None