- Title: Palestinian artist weaves ideas with wood and strings
- Date: 22nd February 2018
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (FEBRUARY 19, 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF GAZAN ARTIST, SAHAR WISHAH, HAMMERING NAILS INTO WOOD PLATE NAILS ON TABLE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) GAZAN ARTIST, SAHAR WISHAH, SAYING: "I get the inspiration from my surroundings. Sometimes it is about causes like the memory of Abu Ammar (late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat). In the beginning of the New Year 2018, I created an art piece. I made another one for (Turkish President Recep Tayyip) Erdogan. I try (to focus on) my personal causes. I drew the art piece of Algeria; it is a cause that I want to deliver a message about. Sometimes simple ideas come to mind for which I create art pieces. Each piece of my art has a special idea." VARIOUS OF WISHAH HAMMERING NAIL (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) GAZAN ARTIST, SAHAR WISHAH, SAYING: "I learnt about this art on the internet. I found an art piece made with nails and strings. I liked it very much. I wanted to try it myself. By time, I started developing my talent. I learnt it by myself because I did not find anyone to teach to me, and I developed it and by time my art pieces became better." WISHAH PUTTING COLOURED STRINGS ON TABLE VARIOUS OF WISHAH WEAVING THROUGH NAILS WITH STRINGS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) GAZA ARTIST, SAHAR WISHAH, SAYING: "My next step is to have a personal gallery for my art. I want to teach my art to people. I want to organise training courses to teach the art of nails and strings, because a lot of people asked to learn it. I want to go out of Gaza Strip, to get any scholarship to study art, because I did not study it. I want to learn it from people specialised in art, to teach me the right steps." VARIOUS OF WISHAH DRAWING ON WOOD PLATE WISHAH'S ART PIECES ON DISPLAY WISHAH ORGANISING ART PIECES ART PIECES
- Embargoed: 8th March 2018 12:21
- Keywords: Gaza artist creates colourful pieces with nails Palestinian territories wood and strings art
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Art,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA00183MRZV9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Facing limited job opportunities, Gaza-based artist Sahar Wishah took to the internet to learn how to make creative art pieces.
The self-taught university graduate creates colourful pieces using nails she hammers into wood plates and weaving through with strings.
She learnt the unique craft watching online videos through which she now reflects on political and personal causes.
Portraits of late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan are featured in her collection.
She hopes one day she will manage to get out of the besieged strip to study art abroad.
Wishah sells her pieces online with prices ranging from $20 to $100.
According to the U.N. Women, nearly 33 percent of Palestinian women are unemployed. With the level of women participation in the official workforce amounting to only 17.4 percent, the United Nations agency says it is among the lowest worldwide.
Gaza's poor economic performance is largely due to blockades, war and poor governance, the World Bank said in 2015.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None