- Title: Japanese Emperor Akihito resting due to cerebral anemia
- Date: 2nd July 2018
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (JULY 2, 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF IMPERIAL PALACE EXTERIORS AND GARDENS
- Embargoed: 16th July 2018 05:03
- Keywords: Emperor Akihito Emperess Michiko cerebral anemia Imperial Household Crown Prince Naruhito
- Location: TOKYO AND ITOMAN, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO AND ITOMAN, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Royals
- Reuters ID: LVA0028N219HH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Japanese Emperor Akihito cancelled his public duties after suffering dizziness and nausea due to cerebral anemia, a condition caused by insufficient blood flow to the brain, a palace official said on Monday (July 2).
Akihito, 84, who has spent much of his nearly three decades on the throne seeking to heal the wounds of war, is set to step down on April 30 next year in the first abdication by a Japanese emperor in nearly two centuries.
The Imperial Household Agency, which manages the imperial family's affairs, said the emperor was diagnosed with cerebral anemia after complaining of nausea and dizziness. The emperor will be monitored while he rests at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo, the agency said.
Once considered divine, Japan's emperor is now defined by the constitution as "a symbol of the state and the unity of the people," but has no political power. His heir is the 58-year-old Crown Prince Naruhito.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None