- Title: Family and colleagues pay tribute to killed Ukrainian activist
- Date: 7th November 2018
- Summary: HANDZYUK'S PHOTOGRAPH
- Embargoed: 21st November 2018 16:25
- Keywords: Kateryna Handzyuk civil activist funeral murder acid attack Ukraine Kherson memorial service
- Location: KHERSON, UKRAINE
- City: KHERSON, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA00295IAWCN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Hundreds of mourners gathered on Wednesday (November 7) in southern city of Kherson to pay honour to Ukrainian activist Kateryna Handzyuk, who died after being severely injured in acid attack in July.
Family members, friends and colleagues, including city mayor Volodymyr Mykolayenko, attended memorial service.
Handzyuk, civil activist and UN volunteer, was assaulted on July 31 next to her apartment building. The attacker used sulfuric acid which burned almost 40 percent of her body.
After 11 surgeries, campaigner recorded a video address from her hospital room, urging authorities to investigate her case and attacks on other activists.
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said on Tuesday (November 6) police found the killer, the accomplices and the organisers of the attack, but demanded full investigation of the case.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.