- Title: Vote count begins as Madagascar chooses president
- Date: 7th November 2018
- Summary: ANTANANARIVO, MADAGASCAR (NOVEMBER 7, 2018) (REUTERS) POLLING OFFICER REVEALING BALLOTS TO OBSERVING ELECTORATE POLLING OFFICER MARKING VOTE COUNTS ON BLACKBOARD VARIOUS OF ELECTORATE CHEERING POLLING OFFICER TAKING FOLDED BALLOTS OUT OF BALLOT BOX POLLING OFFICER ANNOUNCING VOTES BALLOTS ON A TABLE VOTE COUNTING IN PROGRESS PROCESS / OBSERVING ELECTORATE VARIOUS OF VOTES TALLIED ON BLACKBOARD VARIOUS OF POLITICAL PARTY OFFICIALS TAKING NOTE POLLING OFFICER ANNOUNCING VOTES AMID CHEERS VARIOUS OF POLLING OFFICERS WRITING ON BLACKBOARD VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT POLLING CENTRE VARIOUS OF OBSERVERS AT POLLING CENTRE
- Embargoed: 21st November 2018 18:29
- Keywords: Indian Ocean island Madagascar elections President Hery Rajaonarimampianina Marc Ravalomanana vote being counted
- Location: ANTANANARIVO, MADAGASCAR
- City: ANTANANARIVO, MADAGASCAR
- Country: Madagascar
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA00195IASEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Madagascar voted on Wednesday (November 7) for a president to tackle unemployment, poverty and corruption on the Indian Ocean island, with the incumbent and two former heads of state leading a field of 36 contenders.
Early results are expected from Thursday (November 8), but with so many standing, few expect an outright winner when preliminary and then official results are announced later in the month.
President Hery Rajaonarimampianina is seeking a second term in office and his two main challengers are former heads of state: Marc Ravalomanana and Andry Rajoelina.
If the vote needs to go to a second round, it will involve only the two top candidates and take place on Dec. 19.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None