- Title: Surfers ride massive waves at Nazare in Portugal
- Date: 9th November 2018
- Summary: NAZARE, PORTUGAL (NOVEMBER 9, 2018) (REUTERS) PRAIA DO NORTE LIGHTHOUSE PEOPLE WATCHING SURFERS SEBASTIAN STEUDTNER SURFING UNIDENTIFIED SURFER LUCAS CHIANCA SURFING SEBASTIAN STEUDTNER SURFING UNIDENTIFIED SURFER ANDREW COTTON SURFING UNIDENTIFIED SURFERS PEOPLE WATCHING SURFERS ANDREW COTTON SURFING MARCELO LUNA SURFING / FALLING ANDREW COTTON SURFING / FALLING SEBASTIAN STEUDTNER SURFING ANDREW COTTON SURFING
- Embargoed: 23rd November 2018 11:33
- Keywords: Portugal surfing waves Nazare
- Location: NAZARE, PORTUGAL
- City: NAZARE, PORTUGAL
- Country: Portugal
- Topics: Sport,Surfing
- Reuters ID: LVA00195SBCJR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Surfers took to the water at Nazare in Portugal on Friday (November 9) to tackle some of the biggest waves in the world.
The seaside village has been the scene of many surfing records, the massive height of the waves caused by the underwater Nazare Canyon which increases the swell.
Record breaking surfs on waves well over 20 metres tall have been set at the location by Garrett McNamara of the U.S. in 2011 and Brazilian Rodrigo Koxa last year.
The latest person to stake a claim for the record is Portuguese surfer Hugo Vau, whose ride on a potential 35 metre (115 ft.) wave in January is awaiting official verification.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None