- Title: Hong Kong tycoon and richest person Li Ka-shing to retire - CK Hutchison
- Date: 16th March 2018
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (FILE - MAY 1994) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** CHAIRMAN OF CK HUTCHISON HOLDINGS, LI KA-SHING ARRIVING AT EVENT AND WAVING PEOPLE WATCHING LI WALKING ONTO STAGE WITH FORMER HEAD OF HONG KONG AND MACAU AFFAIRS LU PING
- Embargoed: 30th March 2018 09:45
- Keywords: Cheung Kong Holdings CK Hutchison retires Li Ka-shing
- Location: HONG KONG AND BEIJING, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG AND BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA001879E345
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong's business magnate and richest person Li Ka-shing will retire as chairman of CK Hutchison Holdings at the forthcoming Annual General Meeting on May 10, the ports-to-telecoms conglomerate said in a filing to the Hong Kong bourse on Friday (March 16).
Born on July 29, 1928 in the Guangdong province in mainland China, Li moved to the former British colony in his early twenties to turn a plastics company into a major conglomerate called Cheung Kong Holdings.
Li was one of the most influential entrepreneurs and his company includes a diverse range of industries including transportation, real estate, financial services, retail and utilities.
As of January 2018, he is the 23rd richest person in the world with an estimated net worth of US$37.7 billion and the richest person in Hong Kong. As well as a businessman, he is a generous philanthropists donating more than US$2.6 billion with a reputation for having a low profile.
He was forced to drop out of school at the age of 15 to support his family. By 22, he opened his first factory which rocketed to success. His rags-to-riches story has inspired many entrepreneurs in Hong Kong, and his business prowess earned him his nickname, "Superman".
He was one of the first major investors in Facebook and is now known for his investment in disruptive technology.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None