- Title: INDIA: High intensity earthquake strikes country
- Date: 20th September 2011
- Summary: SECURITY PERSONNEL CROWDS PEOPLE STANDING OUTSIDE A HOTEL PEOPLE SITTING, HOLDING UMBRELLAS SECURITY PERSONNEL SITTING PEOPLE SITTING, HOLDING UMBRELLAS A SIGNBOARD READING 'S.T.N.M. HOSPITAL"
- Embargoed: 5th October 2011 11:43
- Location: India, India
- Country: India
- Topics: Disasters
- Reuters ID: LVABSPBL3IDF1TVJZEGZ5RIMSAF0
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: A high intensity earthquake measuring 6.8 on the Richter scale rocked Gangtok in India's northeastern state of Sikkim and large parts of eastern and northern India, killing at least four people.
In West Bengal state, the earthquake caused damage to several properties in Kalimpong, Jalpaiguri and Siliguri. In Bihar state one person died in both Nalanda and Darbhanga districts.
Residents of Gangtok said large cracks have developed in several buildings.
Telephone lines were temporarily jammed and mobile networks were quickly swamped, making communication difficult.
People came out of their homes after the first tremors shook the town at 1811 hours IST (1141GMT).
Tremors were felt as far as the national capital, New Delhi. There were aftershocks shortly post the main tremor, with intensities of 6.1 and 5.3 on the Richter scale respectively.
The epicentre of the earthquake is believed to be somewhere along the India-Nepal border near India's northeastern state of Sikkim, which received the most turbulent shocks.
People in Latehar district of India's eastern Jharkhand state panicked when the tremors struck.
Many rushed out of their homes.
"We feel that after the earthquake, there are further chances of the earth cracking," said Krishna Bhuian, a local resident.
In Bihar, a wall collapsed killing a child.
"Today, around 6:15 p.m. in the evening (local time), we experienced tremors in Nalanda. We experienced tremors in all the districts, where the intensity was between four and five on the Richter scale. A girl died in this earthquake. She was eight years old. Her name is Nibha Kumari and her father's name is Manoj. At the time of the earthquake, they were leaving their house, when a wall of an old house collapsed, causing the child's death," said Sanjay Kumar Aggarwal, a local 0fficial.
Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has offered assistance to the affected states.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None