- Title: Security video shows moment of Notre Dame attack
- Date: 7th June 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - MAY 3, 2017) (REUTERS) SOLDIERS PATROLLING, EIFFEL TOWER IN BACKGROUND VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS PATROLLING IN GROUNDS NEAR EIFFEL TOWER
- Embargoed: 21st June 2017 10:42
- Keywords: Notre Dame police attack counter-terrorism ministers
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA0036KA49QF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:PART VIDEO QUALITY AS INCOMING
France created a new counter-terrorism task force on Wednesday (June 7) comprised of all intelligence services that will coordinate responses to attacks, a day after a man carrying Algerian papers attacked police officers outside the Notre Dame cathedral.
A surveillance video obtained by Reuters showed the assailant running up to three police officers in the square outside Notre Dame and attempting to land a blow with the hammer. One officer was hurt before the aggressor was shot in the chest.
Newly-elected President Emmanuel Macron, portrayed by rivals as weak on security during the presidential campaign, last month instructed the task force be created to bring together France's multiple security agencies inside the Elysee presidential palace.
The performance of France's intelligence services have come under close scrutiny since the November 2015 attacks on Paris, when militant gunmen and suicide bombers struck entertainment venues across the capital, killing 130 people.
In total, more than 230 people have been killed in a wave of attacks in France either claimed by or inspired by Islamic State over the past two-and-a-half years.
In Tuesday's attack, a 40-year-old Algerian student armed with a hammer and kitchen knives shouted "this is for Syria" as he wounded a policeman, before being shot by police officers.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None