- Title: INDIA-QATAR/WRAP India, Qatar strengthen bilateral, economic relations
- Date: 25th March 2015
- Summary: CLOSE OF DOME OF PRESIDENT'S HOUSE VARIOUS OF AL-THANI INSPECTING THE GUARD OF HONOUR CLOSE OF AL-THANI WALKING WITH AN INDIAN DELEGATE
- Embargoed: 10th April 2015 16:02
- Location: India
- Country: India
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVAPP1Z6K2Z9039HI6VO1094NJU
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani, met Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday (March 25).
The two leaders shook hands at the stately Hyderabad House in New Delhi before sitting for bilateral talks.
Earlier in the day, Al-Thani was accorded with the guard of honour at President's House where he was received by President Pranab Mukherjee.
Al-Thani arrived in New Delhi on Tuesday (March 24) for a two-day visit to boost bilateral ties.
Indian Foreign Ministry said in a statement that the main focus of the meeting between the Emir and the top Indian leadership would be on investment opportunities for Qatar in the South Asian country.
Al-Thani is accompanied by a high-level delegation comprising ministers, senior officials and business leaders.
Later on Wednesday, the two sides signed six agreements on issues based on mutual interest, including energy and investment.
The Emir will hold separate talks with India's Vice President Hamid Ansari and Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj.
Trade between the two countries stands at $16.30 billion, heavily weighed in favour of Qatar due to gas imports.
Al-Thani arrived in India after a visit to the neighbouring island nation Sri Lanka and is on the last leg of his tour of South Asia which started with a visit to Pakistan.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.