- Title: Five killed on suspicion of child abduction in western India - media
- Date: 2nd July 2018
- Summary: DHULE, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (JULY 2, 2018) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PEOPLE AND CATTLE WALKING ALONG ROAD BROKEN DOOR MAN STANDING OUTSIDE HOUSE WHERE VICTIMS WERE LYNCHED
- Embargoed: 16th July 2018 14:42
- Keywords: Mob lynching India Dhule Maharashtra killings arrest alleged child abductors mass beatings
- Location: DHULE AND MUMBAI, INDIA
- City: DHULE AND MUMBAI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0018N23JNP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Five people were beaten to death by a mob on Sunday (July 1) in a fresh incident of lynching in India's western state of Maharashtra after suspicions that they were child abductors, media reports said.
There has been a spate of incidents in India based on false messages about alleged child abductors circulating on social media that have triggered mass beatings and a number of other deaths this year.
Sunday's incident took place in a tribal area in the Dhule district, after one of the five victims tried to speak to a small girl while getting off a bus, according to media reports.
Villagers became suspicious and attacked the men with sticks and stones. They later placed them in a locked room and beat them, with all five dying from their injuries, reports said.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None