- Title: A wrap of haka remembering victims of Christchurch mosque shooting
- Date: 20th March 2019
- Summary: CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND (MARCH 20, 2019) (REUTERS) PEOPLE GATHERING
- Embargoed: 3rd April 2019 11:29
- Keywords: Haka victims mass shooting Christchuch Christchurch shooting mosque attack
- Location: AUCKLAND, CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND
- City: AUCKLAND, CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND
- Country: New Zealand
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA003A6TQ4W7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:New Zealanders across the country participated in performing haka on Wednesday (March 20), a traditional Maori dance held to honour victims of a mass shooting at two mosques during Friday (March 15) prayers.
Early in the morning, students from Cashmere High School in Christchurch, whose students and parent community were among those most impacted by the attacks, gathered and performed a haka in front of Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern.
Staff from Air New Zealand performed a haka for students of Al-Madinah School, the country's largest Muslim school, in Auckland. The Muslim students from the same school also performed a haka at a special assembly to pay their respects to the shooting victims.
Later in the evening, several hundred participants, including students, gathered around sunset outside the Al Noor mosque, where the majority of the 50 victims died in the gun attack, to perform a haka.
The haka, a ceremonial war dance, is a posture dance with vigorous movements and shouting, and is performed at sporting events and also to mark special occasions or funerals.
(Production: Joseph Campbell, Afiq Satikin, Stefica Nicol, James Redmayne, Travis Teo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None